Subject: Re: MacBSD on a Mac II with no PMMU
To: None <markur@sonic.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1995 08:43:45
> From reading the FAQ it will not work with the Mac II unless it has
> the PMMU installed. Is this still true with MacBSD 1.1

Yes.  It will always be true.  The HMMU that Apple shipped in the PMMU
slot is lacking most of the features of the PMMU and it's useless for
anything but straight address translation.
You need a PMMU, or an 030 accelerator.

> Also I have been thinking of upgrading to a faster CPU with the Sonet
> Technologies Mac II Booster(Doubler) which is basically a 68030
> chip/board that plugs right into the CPU slot. Does anyone know if
> this is compatible with MacBSD 1.1.

It probably does, but I don't know for sure.  I know that people are
running on the Daystar boards with varying levels of success (usually
works, I think).  I don't have one, though, so I can't say for sure.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>