Subject: Re: A newbie question
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1995 08:34:01
> This is what I would like to try. I have a Mac II running ppp and a color
> classic on an ethernet connection to the Mac II. My ISP will not (curse
> them) give me another ip address for the other machine. Is there a way to
> let the Color Classic use the same ppp link?

There are a couple of options, but it really depends on what you want to
be able to do on the Color Classic.  I run both proxy-httpd and SOCKS on
puma (for different reasons, but both are handy).  To telnet out, I
telnet to puma, and then telnet elsewhere.  Ftp is a two-step process,
as well.  Netscape is happy with the proxy setup, but needs SOCKS, too,
if you want to read news.  Programs need to be compiled with SOCKS in
order to communicate through the SOCKS server, though, which is why NCSA
Telnet and Fetch won't work through it.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **