Subject: NetBSD-1.1 on P600
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Derrick Hutchinson <derrick1@tribeca.ios.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1995 21:51:57
I dowloaded NetBSD-1.1 and was reasonably successful in upgrading from 1.0
(july 1995) to 1.1.  The only difficulty I am having is with getting X11R6
to work correctly again.

When I first upgraded I installed all of the packages except for etc11.  I
booted up with the new 1.1 #46/7? kernel and was able to run dt-1.1.2 and X
successfully.  I then copied the files I had modified in /etc to *.SAVE and
rebooted--it is nice to type REBOOT and the machine automatically reboots
without me having to press the reset button.

I then installed etc11 and brought the system back up.  I moved my *.SAVE
files back into their original positions and made duplicate copies of the
newly installed files for safe-keeping.  I then rebooted to let my rc.local
be executed.

I was able to run dt-1.1.2, but when I started up X the machine hung.  I
checked to ensure that ldconfig is set to /usr/X11R6/lib.  There are no
complaints from initx or startx--matter of fact, there are no errors I can
find at all.  The last thing that happens is both of my screens get
initialized to the grey desktop pattern and the X-cursor shows up on the
screen.  I can move the cursor around, but I do not have access to the twm
menu or anything else.

Just for giggles, I tried out the two kernels put up for ftp by John and I
was able to get both to boot up and work.  They are: netbsd.11.28 and
netbsd.noae.11.28 from jpw@insoft.com.  The netbsd11 kernel will not boot
with my Asante MCiNB-10T ethernet card installed, but John's kernel
(netbsd.noae.11.28) does successfully ignore the card--actually, while the
machine is booting it does identify the card, but does not configure it.

Any suggestions for getting X working would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for all of the great work, guys!!!

System: Performa 600 (IIvx) with 12MB ram, Chinon CDX 535 CDROM, IBM 1.92GB
and Quamtum 160MB hard drives, internal video (1MB) connected to Apple
Performa Plus Display, and Radius 8X connected to Radius TPD19.

Derrick Hutchinson