Subject: XFree86 sites and info
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <brown@cards.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1995 08:16:05
  README for XFree86 3.1.2 on NetBSD
  Rich  Murphey, David Dawes, Marc  Wandschneider, Mark  Weaver,
  Matthieu Herrb
  Last modified on: 19 July 1995

  1.  What and Where is XFree86?

  XFree86 is a port of X11R6 that supports several versions of Intel-
  based Unix.  It is derived from X386 1.2, which was the X server
  distributed with X11R5.  This release consists of many new features
  and performance improvements as well as many bug fixes.  The release
  is available as source patches against the X Consortium X11R6 code, as
  well as binary distributions for many architectures.

  See the Copyright Notice <COPYRIGHT.html>.

  The sources for XFree86 are available by anonymous ftp from:

  ftp.XFree86.org:/pub/XFree86/current
  <ftp://ftp.XFree86.org/pub/XFree86/current>

  Binaries for NetBSD 1.0 and NetBSD-current are available from:

  ftp.XFree86.org:/pub/XFree86/current/binaries/NetBSD
  <ftp://ftp.XFree86.org/pub/XFree86/current/binaries/NetBSD>

  ftp.laas.fr:/pub/ii/NetBSD/XFree86-3.1.2
  <ftp://ftp.laas.fr/pub/ii/NetBSD/XFree86-3.1.2>

  ftp.iastate.edu:/pub/XFree86/XFree86-3.1.2
  <ftp://ftp.iastate.edu/pub/XFree86/XFree86-3.1.2>

  ftp.eecs.umich.edu:/BSD/XFree86 <ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/BSD/XFree86>

  If you're still running NetBSD 0.9, you should think about upgrading
  to a newer version of NetBSD first.  If you don't you'll have to build
  XFree86 from the sources (which has not been tested on NetBSD 0.9)

  This release has also been tested on NetBSD-current of July, 17th 1995
  with option "COMPAT_10" in the kernel config file.

  XFree86 3.1.2 also builds on NetBSD/sparc. See section ``Building on
  NetBSD/sparc'' for details.

  2.  Bug Reports for This Document

  Send email to matthieu@laas.fr (Matthieu Herrb) or XFree86@XFree86.org
  if you have comments or suggestions about this file and we'll revise
  it.

  3.  Installing the Binaries

  The binary distribution is composed of a number of  tar archives which
  are the executables, servers, fonts, libraries, include files, man
  pages, config files, and the server link kit.  The full distribution
  takes over 55MB of disk space.

  All archives are now made using the NetBSD package tools. We recommend
  that you install these tools first.  All packages can be installed
  using pkg_add.

  Note that many clients were moved from the X11R6 distribution to the
  ``contrib'' area. However, they are still distributed with the XFree86
  binary distribution.

  The contents of the packages are:
     REQUIRED:

        X312doc
           READMEs and XFree86 specific man pages.

        X312bin
           all of the executable X client applications and shared libs

        X312font
           the misc and 75dpi fonts

        X312lib
           data files needed at runtime

        X312cfg
           customizable xinit, xdm, and fs runtime configuration files.

        Choose at least one of the following to match your hardware:

        X312svga
           the 8-bit pseudo-color X server for Super VGA cards

        X312vg16
           the 4-bit pseudo-color X server for VGA & SVGA cards.

        X312mono
           the Monochrome X Server

        X3128514
           the X server for IBM 8514/A and compatible boards

        X312agx
           the X server for AGX boards

        X312mc8
           the X server for ATI Mach8 graphics boards

        X312mc32
           the X server for ATI Mach32 graphics boards

        X312mc64
           the X server for ATI Mach64 graphics boards

        X312p9k
           the X server for P9000 based boards

        X312s3
           the X server for S3 based boards

        X312w32
           the X server for et4000w32 based boards

     OPTIONAL:

        X312fs
           the font server with man pages.

        X312prog
           the X11 header files and static libraries needed only for
           compiling other X applications

        X312man
           man pages except XFree86 specific ones in the doc archive

        X312xfnt
           the other fonts (100dpi, scaled, Japanese, Chinese, etc)

        X312link
           X server reconfiguration kit

  If this is your first time, then you can safely install all of the
  packages.  As a minimal install, you'll need doc, bin, fonts lib,
  config, and one X server.

  3.1.  Installing the packages with pkg_add

     1. Become ``root''.

     2. For each package that you want to install type:

           # pkg_add <pkg>.tgz

     If you don't have enough room in /usr/X11R6 you can specify another
     directory by using the -p option to pkg_add. See pkg_add(8) for
     details. Then make a symbolic link /usr/X11R6 to this directory.

  Continue with item ``Additional Setup'' below.

  3.2.  Installing the packages without pkg_add

  To unpack and install the archives:

     1. Create some destination directory in which you'd like the X
        distribution to live.  /usr/X11R6 is recommended, but if that
        partition is full (as it is on my machine), then just create an
        alternate directory, and sym-link /usr/X11R6 to this place.

        ie, on my machine, I do the following:

              % cd /usr/local
              % mkdir X11R6
              % ln -s /usr/local/X11R6 /usr/X11R6

     2. You must be logged in as root to unpack the archives and use a
        ``umask'' value of 022.  Typing ``umask 022'' sets it.  Caution:
        If you do not extract the files as user ``root'' with the
        correct umask you may not be able to run XFree86 3.1.2.  The X
        server needs special permissions that are only granted to the
        root user.

        Assuming that the destination directory for XFree86 3.1.2 is
        /usr/X11R6, run the following from wherever all the archive
        files are (replace /usr/X11R6 with wherever you wish them to go
        if that isn't the place):

      cd /usr/X11R6

      tar xzf X312doc.tgz
      tar xzf X312bin.tgz
      tar xzf X312lib.tgz
      tar xzf X312font.tgz
      tar xzf X312man.tgz

      tar xzf X312link.tgz
      tar xzf X312prog.tgz
      tar xzf X312xfnt.tgz
      tar xzf X312fs.tgz
      tar xzf X312cfg.tgz

     And unpack the server(s) you need:

           tar xzf X312<server>.tgz

  3.3.  Additional setup

     1. Set the XWINHOME environment variable to the path where you
        installed XFree86. Under csh  type:

           setenv XWINHOME /usr/X11R6

     under sh  type

           XWINHOME=/usr/X11R6
           export XWINHOME

     (Replace /usr/X11R6 by the appropriate dir if necessary).

     Also, don't forget to include these lines in your .login or .pro-
     file for permanent use.

     2. Create a symbolic link in ${XWINHOME}/bin named ``X'' that
        points to the server that matches your video card: See the
        XF86_* man pages for hardware details. For example, if you have
        an ET4000 based SVGA card:

           cd $XWINHOME/bin
           rm -f X
           ln -s XF86_SVGA X

     3. Install support for the shared libraries: add the following
        lines at the end of /etc/rc.local:

      if [ -d /usr/X11R6/lib ]; then
         echo 'Adding X shared libraries'
         ldconfig /usr/X11R6/lib
      fi

     4. Reboot your machine to take all previous modifications into
        account.

  If X was already installed on your machine and you have customized
  your xinit or xdm runtime configuration scripts, omit the config
  archive or unpack it elsewhere and extract only that which you need.

       NOTE: you don't need to uncompress the fonts files in
       lib/X11/fonts. If you want to uncompress them anyway, don't
       forget to run ``mkfontdir'' in each directory after that.

  4.  Installing Xdm, the display manager

  Since xdm is dynamically linked against -lcrypt, there's no issue on
  export restriction outside US for this binary distribution of xdm: it
  does not contain the DES encryption code. So it's now included in the
  bin package.

  To start the display manager, log in as root on the console and type:
  ``xdm -nodaemon''.

  You can start xdm automatically on bootup by disabling the console
  getty adding the following code to /etc/rc.local:

         if [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ]; then
           echo -n ' xdm'; /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
         fi

  To disable the console getty, change ``on'' to ``off'' in the console
  entry in /etc/ttys:

        ttyv0  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" pc      off secure

  5.  Configuring X for Your Hardware

  The XF86Config file tells the X server what kind of monitor, video
  card and mouse you have.  You must create it to tell the server what
  specific hardware you have.

  You'll need info on your hardware:

     o  Your mouse type, baud rate and it's /dev entry.

     o  The video card's chipset (e.g. ET4000, S3, etc).

     o  Your monitor's sync frequencies.

  XFree86 3.1 and later releases uses a new configuration file format.

  The recommended way to generate an XF86Config file is to use the
  xf86config utility.  Also, there is a sample file installed as
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.eg, which can be used as a starting
  point.

  For details about the XF86Config file format, refer to the
  XF86Config(4/5) manual page.

  In order to protect your hardware from damage, the server will no
  longer read XF86Config files from a user's home directory, but
  requires that it be in /etc/XF86Config,
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.hostname or
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.

  Once you've set up a XF86Config file, you can fine tune the video
  modes with the xvidtune utility.

  If you have a Xconfig file for XFree86 2.x, use reconfig to translate
  part of it into the new format:
     # reconfig <Xconfig >XF86Config

  and complete the rest according to the XF86Config man page and the
  XF86Config.sample file as a template.

  If your mouse does not work try using kermit or tip to connect to the
  mouse serial port and verify that it does indeed generate characters.

  5.1.  Configuring a PS/2 mouse for XFree86 on NetBSD

  The NetBSD pms mouse driver handles PS/2 style mice as Busmouse.
  Specify the protocol `busmouse' in the mouse section of your
  XF86Config file if you're using a PS/2 mouse.

  6.  Running X

  8mb of memory is a recommended minimum for running X.  The server,
  window manager and an xterm take about 4 Mb of memory themselves.  On
  a 4Mb system that would leave nothing left over for other applications
  like gcc that expect a few meg free.  X will work with 4Mb of memory,
  but in practice compilation while running X can take 5 or 10 times as
  long due to constant paging.

  The easiest way for new users to start X windows is to type: ``startx
  >& startx.log''.  Error messages are lost unless you redirect them
  because the server takes over the screen.

  To get out of X windows, type: ``exit'' in the console xterm.  You can
  customize your X by creating .xinitrc, .xserverrc, and .twmrc files in
  your home directory as described in the xinit and startx man pages.

  7.  Kernel Support for X

  To make sure X support is enabled under NetBSD, the following line
  must be in your config file in /sys/arch/i386/conf:

       options XSERVER, UCONSOLE

  The server supports several console drivers: pccons, pcvt, syscons and
  codrv.  They are detected at runtime and no configuration of the
  server itself is required.

  The pccons driver is the most widely tested and is the console driver
  contained in the NetBSD binary distribution's kernels.

  The pcvt console driver is bundled with NetBSD 1.0. The pcvt X mode is
  compatible with the pccons driver X mode. It offers several virtual
  consoles and international keyboard support. In order to use this
  driver, change the line:

       device          pc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" irq 1

       device         vt0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" irq 1

  in your kernel config file, and rebuild and install your kernel.

  Syscons and codrv are not bundled with NetBSD 1.0. They are available
  by anonymous FTP from a number of sites.

  If using pccons you get the message:

       > XFree86 Version 3.1.2 / X Window System
       > (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6000)
       > Operating System: NetBSD
       > Configured drivers:
       >   Mach8: accelerated server for ATI Mach-8 graphics adaptors
       > (Patchlevel 0)
       >
       > Fatal server error:
       > xf86OpenConsole: CONSOLE_X_MODE_OFF failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
       > Was expecting pccons driver with X support
       > Check your kernel's console driver configuration and /dev entries

  then delete /dev/ttyv0. I don't know why ``MAKEDEV'' move /dev/ttyqf
  to /dev/ttyv0. (from Hung-Chi Chu hcchu@r350.ee.ntu.edu.tw)

  7.1.  Aperture Driver

  By default NetBSD 0.9C and higher include the BSD 4.4 kernel security
  feature that disable access to the /dev/mem device when in multi-users
  mode. But XFree86 servers can take advantage (or require) linear
  access to the display memory.

  The P9000 and AGX servers require linear memory access, other
  accelerated servers can take advantage of it, but do not require it.

  There are two ways to allow XFree86 to access linear memory:

     1. Disable the kernel security feature by initializing the
        ``securelevel'' variable to -1 in /sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c, line
        205 and building a new kernel. For more informations, see the
        comments in /usr/include/sys/systm.h.

        NetBSD-current users can also disable kernel security by adding
        `option INSECURE' in their kernel configuration file.

     2. Install the NetBSD aperture driver:

        a. add the following lines to the end of /etc/rc.local:

         KERNDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/kernel
         if [ -f ${KERNDIR}/ap.o ]; then
           modload -o ${KERNDIR}/ap -e ap -p ${KERNDIR}/apinstall ${KERNDIR}/ap.o
         fi

        If you use NetBSD-current, replace ``ap.o'' with ``ap-
        current.o'' in the above lines.

        b. Reboot your system. XFree86 will auto-detect the aperture
           driver if available.

       Caveat: the NetBSD aperture driver only allows one access at
       a time (so that the system is in the same security state
       once X is launched). This means that if you run multiple
       servers on multiples VT, only the first one will have linear
       memory access.

  7.2.  MIT-SHM

  NetBSD 1.0 supports System V shared memory. If XFree86 3.1.2 detects
  this support in your kernel, it will support the MIT-SHM extension.

  Under NetBSD 1.0, use the following to add shared memory support to
  your kernel:

  To add support for system V shared memory to your kernel add the
  lines:

        # System V-like IPC
        options         SYSVMSG
        options         SYSVSEM
        options         SYSVSHM

  to your kernel config file. Then from /sys/arch/i386/config, type:

        # rm -f ../compile/<KERNEL-NAME>/*
        # config <KERNEL-NAME>
        # cd ../compile/<KERNEL-NAME>
        # make depend
        # make

  Then install your new kernel and re-boot:

        # cp /netbsd /onetbsd
        # cp netbsd /
        # reboot

  8.  Rebuilding the XFree86 Distribution

  The server link kit allow you to rebuild just the X server with a
  minimum amount of disk space.  Just unpack it, make the appropriate
  changes to the xf86site.def, type ``./mkmf'' and ``make'' to link the
  server.  See /usr/X11R6/lib/Server/README for more info.

  See INSTALL <INSTALL.html> for instructions on unbundling and building
  the source distribution.

  You should configure the distribution by editing
  xc/config/cf/xf86site.def  before compiling.  To compile the sources,
  invoke ``make World'' in the xc directory.

  8.1.  Console drivers

  XFree86 3.1.2 has a configuration option to select the console drivers
  to use in xf86site.def:

     o  if you're using pccons put:

           #define XFree86ConsoleDefines -DPCCONS_SUPPORT

     o  if you're using pcvt put:

           #define XFree86ConsoleDefines -DPCVT_SUPPORT

     o  if you're using syscons put:

           #define XFree86ConsoleDefines -DSYSCONS_SUPPORT

     o  if you're running codrv put:

           #define XFree86ConsoleDefines -DCODRV_SUPPORT

  If you don't define XFree86ConsoleDefines in xf86site.def the pccons,
  pcvt and syscons drivers will be supported.

  8.2.  console.h and ioctl_pc.h files:

  If you want to build a server supporting syscons or codrv and you
  don't already have the corresponding header files console.h and
  ioctl_pc.h installed in /usr/include/machine, then install the copies
  that are supplied in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc.  If you run
  NetBSD-current you probably want to install them in
  /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/include too, so that they get reinstalled each
  time you make install in /usr/src/include.

  Another way to keep these files accessible is to make a symbolic link
  like this in the xc directory (suggested by Andrew Cagney
  cagney@highland.com.au):

       ln -s programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/etc machine

  If you have installed the syscons or codrv console drivers, these
  files should be taken from your installed version of the driver.

  8.3.  Support for shared libs under NetBSD 1.0

  By default XFree86 3.1.2 builds for NetBSD 1.0 with shared libraries
  support. If you're building on 0.9 or don't want shared libraries add
  the following line to xf86site.def:

       #define BuildBsdSharedLibs      NO

  8.4.  Building on NetBSD/sparc

  XFree86 3.1.2 also compiles on NetBSD/sparc. The Sun server patches
  from Dennis Ferguson and Matthew Green have been integrated in
  xc/programs/Xserver/hw/sun.  Small modifications to xf86site.def are
  needed:

     o  Set all variables defining the servers to build to NO. (The
        variables controlling the Sun servers to build Xsun24Server,
        XsunServer and XsunMonoServer are defined at the end of
        NetBSD.cf.)

     o  Set ServerToInstall to the sun server of your choice. (Xsun or
        XsunMono).

     o  Look at other applicable options in the INSTALL document
        <INSTALL.html>.

  Problems with this port should be reported to the port-
  sparc@NetBSD.Org mailing list or directly to me matthieu@laas.fr
  rather than to the xfree86 mailing list.

  9.  Building New X Clients

  The easiest way to build a new client (X application) is to use xmkmf
  if an Imakefile is included in the sources.  Type ``xmkmf -a'' to
  create the Makefiles, check the configuration if necessary and type
  ``make''.  Whenever you install additional man pages you should update
  whatis.db by running ``makewhatis /usr/X11R6/man''.

  To avoid the ``Virtual memory exhausted'' message from cc while
  compiling, increase the data and stack size limits (in csh type
  ``limit datasize 32M'' and ``limit stacksize 16M'').

  Note: Starting with XFree86 2.1 and NetBSD 0.9A, the symbol __386BSD__
  no longer gets defined either by the compiler or via the X config
  files for *BSD systems.  When porting clients to *BSD systems, make
  use of the symbol BSD for code which is truly BSD-specific.  The value
  of the symbol can be used to distinguish different BSD releases.  For
  example, code specific to the Net-2 and later releases can use:

       #if (BSD >= 199103)

  To ensure that this symbol is correctly defined, include <sys/param.h>
  in the source that requires it.  Note that the symbol CSRG_BASED is
  defined for *BSD systems in XFree86 3.1.1 and later.  This should be
  used to protect the inclusion of <sys/param.h>.

  For code that really is specific to a particular i386 BSD port, use
  __FreeBSD__ for FreeBSD, __NetBSD__ for NetBSD, __386BSD__ for 386BSD,
  and __bsdi__ for BSD/386.

  Another note: If you get the message:

  ld.so: undefined symbol _XtCvtStringToFont

  at run-time, you've stumbled on a semantic weakness of NetBSD 1.0
  dynamic linker. Applications that use libXmu also need libXt. If the
  client uses a standard Imakefile, this dependency will probably by
  included in the Makefile automagically -- you'll not see the problem.
  Otherwise, just add ``-lXt'' to your library list in the Imakefile or
  Makefile and relink.

  10.  Thanks

  Many thanks to:

     o  Pace Willison for providing the initial port to 386BSD.

     o  Amancio Hasty for fixing cursor restoration, mouse bugs and many
        others.

     o  Christoph Robitschko for fixing com.c and thus select().

     o  Nate Williams for the patchkit support for X.

     o  Rod Grimes and Jack Velte of Walnut Creek Cdrom for use of their
        machines in preparing the FreeBSD binary release.

  $XConsortium: NetBSD.sgml,v 1.4 95/01/27 16:14:26 kaleb Exp $
  Generated from XFree86: xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/doc/sgml/NetBSD.sgml,v 3.15 1995/07/21 14:40:47 dawes Exp $

--