Subject: Re: Prob (mkfs) on Syquest EZ135
To: Patty Nunez <dust@interramp.com>
From: Patricio Javier Montes C. <pjmontes@fisica.uson.mx>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1995 14:48:53
On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Patty Nunez wrote:

> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 00:36:17 -0600
> From: Patty Nunez <dust@interramp.com>
> To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Prob (mkfs) on Syquest EZ135
>
> I had MacBSD running on my SE30s Internal Hard Drive, so I have gone
> through the installation process once before.
>
> This time I want to set up 1.1 (1.1a, or whateve it is called :)) on a new
> Syquest EZ135 drive.

Do not try a new kernel until fixes are done to SCSI manager.
this is my sugestion).

> I used Alliance Power Tools to partition the drive, that seemed to work out
> find.  When I ran mkfs, however, I get ...
>
> inquiry(0)
> inquiry(1)
> inquiry(2)
> inquiry(3)
> inquiry(4)
> inquiry(5)
> inquiry(6)
> modesense page4(0)
> Error on SCSI select(), #2
> get - device info returned 2
> Partition read, SCSIID=0
> Error on SCSISelect(),#2
>
> Now, my Syquest EZ135 has SCSI ID=4 (from APT and SCSI Probe) and I have a
> small Mac partition on it that is read fine under the Mac OS.
>
> As I read the "install" document closer, I read "If you are trying to
> install on a Syquest see the FAQ".  I cannot find them at the moment, but
> if I recall, the FAQ Syquest stuff involved the parameters needed to set up
> a Syquest.  Presently, I am not reaching that stage.
>
> So ....  I have three questions - in order of importance (to me)
>
> (1)     How do I get around/fix this problem with mkfs
> (2)     Where can I find the FAQ section on Syquest drives
> (3)     I have not been able to find X11R6 anywhere lately - is this
> because the new release has caused problems and X will soon be out again in
> leaner, meaner format :)
>
> Thanks for eveyone's work.  I run an SE30 with 20 MB and was hoping to give
> some feedback on the whether I had any troubles with new release similar to
> a message I saw a couple days ago.
>
> Patrick Nunez

Patrick:

All the answers to your questions can be solved getting the faqs file,
try these addresses:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jdwhite/linux-syquest.html
(it's linux but can help to get some ideas)

or try Syquest:
http://www.syquest.com/
http://www.macfaq.com/vendor/hardware/1066.html
http://www.syquest.com/syquest/whatsnew.htm

or anonymous ftp to:
ftp.netcom.com
in directory /pub/sy/syquest/

as a last resource and maybe with answers to X11R6 try:

http://acm.vt.edu/NetBSD_Mac/docs/mac68k-FAQ/FAQ-Body.html

Patricio (same as you but in spanish) J. Montes
CCA Physics Dept. University of Sonora
Hermosillo,Sonora,Mexico.