Subject: Re: Will FreeBSD fun on an 68lc040?
To: Greg Dunn <spearce@injersey.com (Shawn Pearce), gregdunn@indy.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/1995 20:58:25
> At 11:13 PM 11/25/95, Greg Dunn wrote:
> >>MacMint isn't great (in other words, not really good at all).
> >
> >It's actually fairly usable if you have a really fast Mac, and it coexists
> >under MacOS while allowing you to port many UNIX utilities over for
> >essentially zero cost.  There's a 'gcc' available which has actually been
> >used to compile MacOS programs, though I haven't.  My experience after
> >installing utilities and applications is that MiNT behaves quite a bit like
> >UNIX, though it is severely limited in the number of advanced features
> >(like networking, X, multiuser capability) that it supports.

A friend of mine just installed MacMint on his PB520, and he seems
pretty happy with it.  His main objectives are to compile, run and
debug his programs written for UNIX at home as well as at his office.

> Then how cum I can't get MacMint to actually DO something?

He says he's running gcc, tcsh, vi, emacs, etc., etc...  I don't
understand why you can't get it to do anything.  Hmm...  I'm sorry if
you feel like I'm treating you like a clueless, but you know you can't
do anything just by installing MacMint itself?  You have to install
"ls" to list a directory, "cp" to copy files, just like the real UN*X
but unlike DOS, you know (er, unless of course, ls and cp come with
MacMint)?

> Where did you get it?  (the URL?)

Ask archie.  He and I did (I told him about MacMint).  I didn't keep
the URLs, and the friend can't be reached as I'm writing this.

As for further discussion on MacMint, I'd appreciate if you could do
it by personal e-mails.  Thanks,

ken