Subject: Re: NetBSD1.1 Alpha on P600
To: Runs With the Night Hawks... <hawks@mcs.com>
From: Bob Fuller <rafuller@iquest.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/1995 23:06:48
>Hey, has anyone tried the latest 1.1 Alpha binaries on the Perf600/IIxv/IIvi?
>I've hear a few vague things about stuff not working but dont know for sure.
>
>Can anyone tellme either way, its great/it sucks before I upgrade fromm a
>kernel I know works well?

I know that it works on the IIvx.  At least I've been compiling simple C
programs and running them.  Also the games seem to work.

I am very new to this.  In fact, I just got NetBSD up and running
Wednesday!  I had
some problems setting it up, as I didn't know what I was doing, and I ran
out of HD space
on my 80 meg drive.  I tried to install everything. :)  So, I moved
everything from my 330meg HD to my 230 meg and my 80 meg, and endedup
loosing what was on my 80 meg. Specifically, the netBSD 1.1 alphas that I
had to ftp on a 28.8 slip connection.  However, Norton utilities came to
the rescue, (after getting my Mac Plus out of moth balls to run the
emergency disk on.. seems BOTH of my 'good' computers don't have a
functioning floppy drive!)  I recoverd all of the netBSD files, and got it
installed in a few hours.  I used my Quadra 650 to do the installations.
The Q650 wouldn't run netBSD however, due to some of the hardware not being
supported.

So, once I got it setup, I moved the HD's over to the IIvx (both the 80,
and the 330).  I have an 11 meg MacOS partition setup to boot from the 330,
and the rest is for the A/ux files and swap, etc.  My first attempt to boot
failed, I had to reset the monitor for b/w, then it worked, sort of.  Seems
that it got to a certain part in the boot and froze.  It seems that it did
not support the ethernet card that I had in it.  So, I removed that and it
worked!  I was amazed that I got it up and running with relatively no
problems, considering my lack of experience!

At anyrate, from what I can determine, the IIvx is compatible with netBSD.
I have had some problems getting a PPP connection going, but it's a matter
of time before I figure that one out.

Hope this helps.

Bob