Subject: Re: IIvx
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Shawn Pearce <spearce@injersey.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/1995 23:20:17
At 10:45 PM 11/21/95, Ken Nakata wrote:
>The current, or 1.1_ALPHA (what else did you expect?).  The *10 files
>are the official 1.0 binary release packages.  Many improvements and
>bug fixes have gone into the current source since the release of 1.0.

I didn't expect less, but I wasn't sure if they were buggy since I wasn't
sure if they could be ahead of the 1.1 release.  Also, see below - I can't
install them.  (never can tell with all these year out of sync sites.)

>Did you try to _at least_ browse through the Web page?  *You will find
>pointers to two major current snapshots in the URL mentioned above*.
>I did not mention it for no reason (sorry if it sounds too strong, but
>you have to make some effort to help yourself when it comes to free
>software like NetBSD).

Sorry.  But i read them, and I'm going to wait for the 1.1 to get up.
Again, is it going to be on ALL servers?  How long is the time to mirror it
around?  Or are you deffinately going to post the URL on puma?  (Or do I
have to get it off of PUMA, and kill Alan's machine for hours on end
needlessly, becuase the mirrors are DAYS, if not YEARS behind the stuff on
his machine????)

Also, a snapshot wouldn't help me.  It has to be installed in UNIX, doesn't
it?  I don't have a working system yet!  Thus, I can't install it! I was
just asking around to see if there was a way to install a fresh, brand new
system on a IIvx without being a genius at MacBSD.  (Or is an undocumented
feature of the installer that it can install snapshots?  And if so, how do
i take apart a "tar" file on a mac?????? )

---------
Ken,
I didn't intend to be a pain about it Ken.  Sorry!  But the whole reason
for this list was so that users can exchange ideas about the OS, right?
Was that last message only to you?  I'm sorry if it did - I meant it for
the group.

--------

I'm getting told a bunch of different things, and basically Alan says it
can/can't run on a IIvx, the docs say otherwise, and well, I'm stuck in the
middle here.
For example:
http://acm.vt.edu/NetBSD_Mac/docs/machine-status

Has a doc that must be really old, because I was reading someplace else
that the IIvx worked ok, but there was that scroll while input on the ADB
problem.  The URL above states that it only works with a serial console.
Can I say "Last modified 14 November 1994"?????

And you expect a new user to go and figure out that the info is the most
current?

Not to flame you Ken, but I know on MacPerl, whenever a new user asks for
help (either to the list or to me), I always try to help however I can.
Even if they only know that Perl is language they might want to learn, or
use, but they don't know why.  Oh, and I have written my own stuff, and
written my own docs, but they don't really need docs if you have 1/2 a wit.
MacBSD, with its tons of mirrors, is driving me insane as to what is the
_MOST_ current as far as docs and software goes.  I JUST WANT TO GET A
RUNNING SYSTEM SO I CAN GET THE SNAPSHOTS MYSELF AND USE THEM!!!!!!!!!  HOW
CAN I DO THAT WITHOUT A RUNNING SYSTEM??????

Thanks for the help everyone.  'preciate.

Shawn.

#  In Jersey: The Digital Information Network of the Garden State            #
#      Freelance HTML/Programmer                                             #
#  http://nj5.injersey.com/~spearce/   ###    http://www.injersey.com/       #