Subject: Re: Ethernet Card
To: Chris Mason <cmason@map.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/1995 22:37:10
> I'm looking to buy an ethernet card for a MacIIcx running MacBSD-current.
> Which one should I buy.  It needs to be 10baseT.

The Asantes have done well for me.  I've also heard of a Farallon,
earlier Apple cards and a couple of others.

> I've heard sonic cards don't work but I don't know what a SONIC card is.

It's hard to tell without actually looking at the card.  The SONIC has
the part number 83932 and the NIC (working) has the part number 8390 or
83902.

> Also, my cx has a RasterOps 24STV that works fine in one bit mode.  I
> haven't tried it in any other modes.  Does MacBSD/X11 work in color yet???

Hmmm.  This might be a problem with the ethernet if it's got a running
video interrupt.  I'm not sure if that problem is fixed...  The color
X server is a ways off.  Not because of X, but because of NetBSD's
support of the color...

> I've also compiled tin and it runs fine.  You might want to add that to
> your list of ported/portable software.

Cool!

-allen

--