Subject: Re: Crashes
To: None <jdf2026@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/1995 10:03:12

[ and then from Rick (graul@netcom.com): ]

> I had a similar problem with the system hanging.  I only had 16 Mb of swap,
> so I suspected that I was running out of memory.  To test this, I wrote a
> program to allocate memory using sbrk() in a loop, until I ran out.  If I
> allocated 1 Mb at a time, the system would handle it properly, but if I
> allocated 1 kb at a time, the, system would lock up.  I don't know if this
> would happen to you, since you seem to have plenty of swap space.

I am having the exact same problem on my IIsi 9MB RAM 45MB swap. (I finally
got around to downloading the 1.1_ALPHA kernels from eskimo)

I am using a complete Nov 4th snapshot from ftp.eskimo.com. If I use an
older kernel from September, I can run just fine.

I can't even get all the way through compiling dt, let alone the kernel. :-(
The machine just stops - no errors, no traps, no debugger, nothing.

Anyone else seen this? Or have an idea what in the kernel may be causing
this, based on Rick's test?

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504