Subject: Re: Panics when doing mkdir
To: Mack Nagashima <mackn@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/1995 09:59:01
> worked fine until i tried to make a new directory..i got a nice list of
> panics and had to reset...is there a simple way to fix this?

It would help a lot to see what the actual panic messages are, but I do
recommend that you wait and try a 1.1 system.  It's much easier to work
from those sources.  Are you booting into single-user and then exiting
to get into multi-user?  If so, make sure you run fsck on your
filesystems by hand.  If not, then BSD should be running fsck for you.

> 	BTW..IS there gonna be a NetBSD for the PowerPC?  Is there
> development of any specific system? I think i heard that they started one
> for the 7100 but that was a while ago...updates?

The Linux folks started working on the PowerMac, but have moved over the
Motorola boxes because Motorola donated machines and documentation.  At
least, that's the work from the Linux/PowerPC FAQ.  I am planning on
doing some work to get NetBSD running on my 8500, but I don't plan on
doing _significant_ amounts of work for any other systems unless someone
hires me for it.  There are a couple of people working on NetBSD and
FreeBSD for other PowerPC-based machines (Motorola and others).

I expect that there will eventually be support for CHRP systems, but
it's a little early to tell since the CHRP spec has just been "finalized."

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>