Subject: Baudrates not what they used to be?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Walter Ruetten <walter@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1995 10:49:47
Hi,

has anybody using a Mac IIci/si/vi/vx noticed that using a baud rate
of 9600 baud or lower doesn't work with the last changes in the
serial driver code?

What I saw using my IIvi is that setting the baudrate to 9600 baud
results in an effective baudrate of approx. 8900 baud being used.

This might be attributable to a sccClkConst of 122400 being set in
mac68k/machdep.c for the MacIIci/si/vi/vx.
Using BPS_TO_TCONST (dev/z8530reg.h) with this sccClkConst and 9600
baud gives a tcount of 11 (divide by 13) which should lead to a
baudrate of 9415 baud. This wouldn't result in any problems.

But as things look to me, the sccClkConst for the IIvi is more like
115200.

Does anybody know where this sccClkConst of 122400 for
MacIIci/si/vi/vx comes from
and
could those of you having NetBSD running on one of those machine
check the actual baudrate?

To do this, you would set the baudrate to 9600 baud, 8bits, no
parity, one stopbit, on tty00 or tty01, whichever you intend to use.

  stty -f /dev/tty0x -parenb -cstopb cs8 speed 9600

Then create a text file of 9600 characters length and send it to the
tty0x using the following command (you don't need a terminal
connected to the respective tty):

  /usr/bin/time -l  cat file_of_9600_char_length > /dev/tty0x

If the reported time is around 9.9 to 10 seconds, your baudrate
should be fine. If it is more like 10.6 o 10.8 seconds, you baudrate
is possibly wrong.
Anyway, I would like to get some feedback concerning the above
mentioned machines.

Thanks
  Walter
--