Subject: LCIII - ethernet cards?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/12/1995 16:06:51
Hi there.

I finally bit the bullet and downloaded a complete netbsd onto my nice new
hard disk for my LCIII.

I took the eskimo tarballs, and a small selection of kernels - generic and
nfs from eskimo, as well as the adb-test kernel from microserve.com (dated
9.26).

Having installed everything using the Install Utility (all onto my root
partition, actually, but at 50M its big enough anyway - I can move and
symlink later), I tried to boot.

With the adb-test kernel, it boots up to the point where it looks at my
ethernet card "ae0:..." and then hangs.  The card is an Asante Mac-Con LC,
and I had been under the impression that Asante cards worked.

With either of the eskimo kernels, it will give a kernel address error
unless booted into serial console mode - but that's no great surprise,
since they don't support the LCIII adb.  When in serial console mode, they
both hang in the same place - while interrogating ae0.

I will probably try taking out the ethernet card and seeing if that solves
the problem - but I'd rather not have to, and in any case, a
non-networkable machine is of little use to me.

Any ideas anyone?  If it's a question of compiling a kernel with asante
support, does anyone out there feel like compiling me an asante kernel - I
wouldn't really mind if it doesn't have the LC adb stuff, since I will
probably be using it in the long term without a keyboard or monitor anyway
- telnetting in from a Sun3 or my PowerMac.

Thanks for any help...

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  |                                 |  6 Evelyn Road        |
|  Jules aka     |  jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk  |  Richmond, Surrey     |
|  Julian Bean   |                                 |  TW9 2TF    *UK*      |
|  Three things hold a secret: A lady riding in a dream, the dog that      |
|  sounds no warning, and the maid who does not scream.                    |