Subject: Re: Confusion about emulation in general
To: None <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1995 23:37:57
>>>>> "Bill" == Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu> writes:

Bill> My naive understanding is that the emulation allows us to run
Bill> sunos programs. Is this assumption correct? What is required to
Bill> do this feat if possible.

It's correct.  You need option COMPAT_SUNOS in the kernel config.  You
might also need to install a Sun ld.so in
/emul/sunos/somewhere-I-dont-know
and Sun shared libs if the binary is a dynamically linked binary.
Of course it has to be a sun3 binary, but I guess you knew that, we
don't emulate sparc. :-)

Bill> I've got a sunos commercial application I want to run on my
Bill> IIsi.  I've downloaded it, but whenever I try to run it (just
Bill> typing the command name), I get an invalid executable error
Bill> message (basically the system knows the file's not
Bill> NetBSD/Mac68k, and says no).

Use ktrace/kdump (requires option KTRACE) to see what happens (man
ktrace tells you howto).  It might give you some hints...

PS I have not run SnOS progs for at least a year, and no longer
compile the emulation in on my Amy.  Otherwise I work a lot with
emulations on the i386.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist       Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00  Home: +46-(0)31-41 93 95
Applitron Datasystem   Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50  Home: +46-(0)31-41 93 96
Molndalsvagen 95       Email: niklas@appli.se     GSM:  +46-(0)70-714 10 35
S-412 63  GOTEBORG     WWW:   Here
Sweden		       IRC:   niklas (#NetBSD)    ICB:  niklas (netbsd)