Subject: Re: LC3 color
To: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/02/1995 13:55:06
>On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Tom Rowlands wrote:
>> >4.  Is it possible to use color on the LC III running NetBSD?
>> Dunno...
>
>Well, just so you know that LC's have some problems when trying to be
>compatible with other Macs' Color Quickdraw.  You have to call an extra
>function everytime you setup a color grafport.  It took me a whole year
>to find this "bug", and most applications on the market overcome this
>somehow.  They probably make the call anyway.  It's just recommended, I
>guess.  I don't know if any current kernels have this call in them

Hmm...  Well, since NetBSD doesn't use Quickdraw anyway, AFAIK, that's not
going to be a big problem;)

However, having said that, I am interested.  I have written many, many
programs for my LCIII, most of them using color quickdraw, and yet, I still
don't know what you're talking about :-)  So, what is this call, then?
What am I supposed to be calling?

>Me neither.  I can't get anything to install.  I don't want to even mess
>with BSD until I get that FPU chip.  Then, I'll only have 4M RAM, so if I
>do anything, it will take a week to compile.  :-)

Ouch.  Mind you, I run NetBSD on a Sun3 with only 4M.  It took about 3
hours to compile tcsh.

Jules

>--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
> email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu
>   WWW:     http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/

|  Jelibean aka  |                                 |  6 Evelyn Road        |
|  Jules aka     |  jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk  |  Richmond, Surrey     |
|  Julian Bean   |                                 |  TW9 2TF    *UK*      |
|  Three things hold a secret: A lady riding in a dream, the dog that      |
|  sounds no warning, and the maid who does not scream.                    |