Subject: Re: Where to start?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Rowlands <tomr@oaf.apana.org.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1995 17:28:16
>Hi!

Hello.

>I think many of you will say that this is a stupid question and I
>should better read the Readme files. But, I am a total beginner to
>Unix, and I was only gettin to chaos when reading all the
>information.

The only stupid question is the one that is never asked. :-)

<snip>

>1.  Is it possible to run any version of NetBSD on Mac LC III with
>    8 MB RAM and internal SCSI disk Quantum 250 MB (or external
>    ZipDrive)?

You will need an FPU. Ken Nakata is working on an FPU emulator.
<mailto:kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>.

>2.  I have no FPU. Do I need to buy it? I would like to keep my Mac
>    on the lowest price.

Yeah. See above.

>3.  I have read the mail about boosting LC III to 33 MHz. It is nice
>    to know my Mac can be faster, but it is a little dangerous.
>    I have also read that the boosted LC III behaves as Perfora 450
>    and the NetBSD runs on it. But, I will feel better, if it will
>    run on the not boosted LC III. So, can I run the NetBSD on the
>    original LC III?

The hacked version should run anything the original will, and vise versa. I
just hacked a lab of sixteen of them, and the hack seems reliable. I heard
Apple actually sold 33Mhz versions of the LC III at the end of it's
production! :-)

It is probably slightly dangerous.. Voids your warantee.

In case anyone is interested, more information on Mac hardware hacks is
available from <http://bambam.cchem.berkeley.edu/~schrier/mhz.html>.

>4.  Is it possible to use color on the LC III running NetBSD?

Dunno...

>5.  Is it possible to use Apple IIe as terminal, connected through
>    RS 232 Super Serial Card II?

I don't see why not.

>6.  If I can use NetBSD, where and what do I have to download?
>    I live in Europe, so I would be happy for some near sites.

Anyone?

>At the end, I would like to appologize for my English, I am better in
>reading, than in writing.

:-) Ever met any serious 'net user with perfect English?

Note: Keep in mind that the above info might be a bit off... I just watch
the list for fun, and don't actually use NetBSD yet.

Have fun!

--

Cheers.

Tom Rowlands                                               (06) 292 6854
tomr@oaf.apana.org.au               Bolo Handle: ferds (italic f and d).
    There is a reason why MacOS is the worlds most popular 32 bit OS.