Subject: Re: Where to start?
To: None <xkoudel1@cs.felk.cvut.cz>
From: Francois Pays <fpays@isicom.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1995 23:41:11
Yes, in fact, it was kenn@remus.rutgers.edu with 2 'n'. I apologize.

>> >1.  Is it possible to run any version of NetBSD on Mac LC III with
>> >    8 MB RAM and internal SCSI disk Quantum 250 MB (or external
>> >    ZipDrive)?
>>
>> Sorry. Infornunately, you need a FPU for the moment.
>> (This is the only thing you miss)
>
>Do you think it is why the Booter crashed?

No. If you did not use the John P. Wittkosi kernel, the kernel must have
crashed while opening the ABD bus. The above mentioned kernel passes this
step, but would have probably stopped just after during fpu authentification
(68881, 68882, 68040 built-in, ... none). (ken, i am right ?)

>> >3.  I have read the mail about boosting LC III to 33 MHz. It is nice
>> >    to know my Mac can be faster, but it is a little dangerous.
>> >    I have also read that the boosted LC III behaves as Perfora 450
>> >    and the NetBSD runs on it. But, I will feel better, if it will
>> >    run on the not boosted LC III. So, can I run the NetBSD on the
>> >    original LC III?
>>
>> I have not noticed anormal CPU or bus error since I have made the patch.
>> But you are right, it is a little dangerous...
>> (In any case, that voids your warranty)
>
>A question for experiencer: Do I need some additional CPU fan?

Yes, actually. The 68030 max. temperature is 70=B0c. At 25 MHz and without
CPU fan, it is allready really hot (Check yourself). The heat given out by
a given CPU is proportional to the frequency square. As a result, the CPU
gives out 80% more heat at 33MHz than at 25MHz.
Without heat fan, a boosted 33 MHz 68030 is likely to drop quickly to 0 MHz.=
 :-(

-- Francois Pays