Subject: Re: X/Console messages (was:Re: Serial Port Funkiness)
To: None <kevin@spef.syr.ge.com>
From: Erik Vogan <vogan@auriga.rose.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1995 14:03:38
On Mon, 30 Oct 1995 kevin@spef.syr.ge.com wrote:

> > An easiest workaround is to run xconsole as root.  If you don't like
> > that, you can edit /etc/ttys and log in on /dev/console instead of

>   On a simular note, I was seeing this same problem until I started running
> xdm.  Once running xdm the problem went away.  I just start an "xterm -C"
> and it intercepts all the console messages.

	As a matter of fact, it is standard practice for xdm to change
the ownership of the console to the current user when starting up a
session, whatever the configuration.  I've found this to be true on
'production' unix boxes (SGI's) and on 'out of the box' xdm's for PCs.
	If you would like to be able to do the same thing w/o running
xdm, just chown the console to the current user, then start x.  Remember
to chown the console back to it's original owner.  As for the dire
consequences and security loopholes inherent in this ... I just don't know.

							erik vogan

~ Of all the races in all of the Galaxy who could have come and said a big
hello to the planet Earth, he thought, didn't it just have to be the Vogons.
							- HHGttG