Subject: Re: 4 MB?
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1995 09:29:02
> 	Is it possible to do any compiling at all on a 4MB system?  (At
> the very least, is it possible to rebuild the kernel in 4MB ?)  (I have
> an old machine I don't feel like putting any more $ into)

David,
I had a IIsi with 5MB of RAM (now it's 9MB). The last time I compiled the
kernel (clean build) with only 5MB, it took almost two days! There was a
very large amount of swapping going on. I was using a rather old hard drive,
(slow step rate) but I don't expect to be much different with a newer one.

Shortly after this experience I upgraded to 9MB.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504