Subject: Panic jumps and ADB
To: Scott Reynolds" , "Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1995 09:47:37
Scott Reynolds, scottr@edsi.org reports:

And  Valtteri Vuorikoski, vuori@sci.fi reports:

> Sending something through the serial port occasionally results in
>'panic: kernel jump to zero' and gives a  hung ddb, though more usually
>it just says 'Bad escape' and hangs (that string is in ddb's parser)
>on 1.1A kernel from friday or so. Comments ? Did I already post about this ?
>I forget.

Maybe I can add something here that will assist in finding the problem.
I've been trying to get NetBSD up on my Mac 550 and have seen very
similar problems.  None of the "standard" Kernels I've tried will boot
sucessfully on the 550 with a local console.  But, most of them boot with
a Serial Console however they hang with a "panic: kernel jump to zero".
The one Kernel I have that boots sucessfully on the 550 in local console
mode has a hung Keyboard and mouse.  Booted with a Serial Console it
hangs with a "panic: kernel jump to zero", but the remote keyboard is
useable.  Seems to me there is a connection here between the ADB keyboard
hang promlems I've seen on the 550 and the Serial Console errors that
Scott and Valtteri are reporting.  Sure give me hope that very soon now I
might have a working NetBSD for my 550 thanks to the efforts of many hard
workers on this project.

-Bob