Subject: Re: Wasabi CD-ROM and ramdisk root install
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1995 22:21:50
> I've been pondering this idea of CD-ROM installation using ramdisk
> mini(tiny?)-root.  Basically, you load the kernel off of the CD,
> program in NetBSD which in turn would mount the CD and install
> everything off of it (or just run "mount", "tar", etc by hand).

Very good!  That's the plan!  I'd like to have this for the 1.1 release.
Unfortunately, it looks like that will be only the preferred method of
installation since it's too late to get the HFS into the kernel, now,
for 1.1--even if I had it working (and I haven't touched it in a couple
of weeks)-:
I don't want to say that you can't install off hard disk--you must
install over the net, from a running NetBSD system, or from an
ISO-9660 CD-ROM...  ;-)

The tools need an overhaul, too, and the miniroot install script
is currently a mess...  :-(

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **