Subject: Re: formatter (was LC475)
To: None <kevin@spef.syr.ge.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1995 21:35:00
> disklabel returned that there were _8_ partions (I realize it only looks
> for the first 8, but the map it returned had only 5 (4 not counting the
> whole disk) partions in it.)

These and the other issues are ones that I meant to work on before
1.1--I might still get a chance to fix some of these as some of this
behavior definitely fits in the "bug" category.

> That was it.  No e,f or h for the Free A/UX slice [3-6] (or [3-5]).

The problem with this is that these slices probably don't mark the Usr
or Root bit in the partition map.  I'll look into that, too.  Thanks to
one person, I've got a couple of small scratch drives to fool with.

If anyone has suggestions about partitioning and handling partitions,
please let me know.

I think it would be great to have a NetBSD-based or MacOS-based tool to
adjust the partition table since there doesn't seem to be any freeware
out there to do it.  I plan to implement "raw" NetBSD disks, too, that
will put a real NetBSD disklabel on the disk and will allow you to edit
it with the disklabel tool.  I haven't come up with a good scheme for
handling NetBSD disklabels on "mixed" disks.  I think that the Atari
port handles this somehow and I plan to take a look at how Leo's pulled
that off...  ;-)

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **