Subject: Re: formatter (was LC475)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG, steve@es.chem.umass.edu>
From: None <kevin@spef.syr.ge.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/19/1995 15:15:37
   Dr Steve Eyles wrties:

> I may be missing the point here.....and I'm really pissed off now 'cos I
> had to sell my IIci when I moved to the US from England and the LC475
> here apparently won't ever be able to run MacBSD ;-(
>
> Don't you need to run newfs to label the other partitions and put a
> filesystem on them?  I may of course be completely wrong but it seems to
> me that the MacOS side formatters will correctly label the root/usr/swap
> partitions, but if you leave a partition as A/UX free it doesn't label
> it.  newfs puts the filesystem on.

  The point is, newfs(ed) or not MacBSD does not recognize the extra Unix
partions.  The MacOS mkfs utility on the other hand, does see them and
will place the file system on them for you.

  This is no way a real show stopper as you can work around the problem
if you want, it just looks funny to this human operator to see a root, swap,
and 3 usr partions :)   Kind of an identity complex, will the real usr please
step forward.  As it turns out the real usr is the first one on the disk.
It just would be nice if this were documented ( as if anyone, myself included,
would read it :), or better yet fixed.

  Someone has already suggested a fix, and I'll look at as soon as I get a
chance.  But, like every one else, time is in short supply.

Kevin
kevin@spef.syr.ge.com