Subject: Re: LC 475
To: Ben Cottrell <benco@ucsee.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/16/1995 22:53:15
> 	best:	FWB Hard Disk Toolkit (HDT)
> 		Personal edition US$60, or full edition US$155
> 		Notes:	You can pretty much do anything with this
> 			package; it's powerful, easy to use, and
> 			won't restrict you from doing whatever you
> 			want to. It has extensive formatting and bad
> 			block handling. The full edition can do RAID
> 			and encryption, and lots of low-level stuff.

Hmmm...  You might want to be careful with this one.  The last time
that I looked at the personal edition, it couldn't do anything but
Mac partitions.  I complained loudly to their tech support, and I
would be happily surprised if newer versions do handle other partition
types.

> 	third:	Silverlining
> 		Proprietary software from LaCie, you can swipe it from
> 		someone who has it.

That advice is not appropriate.  Blatently illegal, although I know it
happens all the time.

> Hope I've helped! I'd like to see a section on this in the FAQ; it's
> confusing considering that Apple put such a dumb program in with their OS.

This would be an excellent addition to the FAQ.  (hint, hint)

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>