Subject: Re: LC 475
To: None <ben@eden.com>
From: Francois Pays <fpays@isicom.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/16/1995 21:49:09
>Hey...what are the steps there?
>
>I'm also pretty new to repartitioning...if you could just expand a
>little, I'd be forever in debt. ;)

I am not sure that someone is able to decode my language. It looks like
english.(?). If it can help...

I have repartitionad my external 170 MB HD into two partitions, a 130 MB
macOS and a 40 MB NetBSD. I used Silvering CLG5.4 to make it. ( I am not
sure it is a freeware. I have got it free with my hard disk). Here is
what to have to do :

1. You must make enought room on your MacOS partition. Obviously more than the
space you want to give to your new BSD partition.

2. Find the floppy "Disk Tools" that you had with your computer. Copy its system
folder on a new floppy and add CLG5.4. (There is enought room).

3. Restart your computer and boot from the last floppy. It is necessary to let
CLG 5.4 unmount your hard drive. Select the scsi drive of your hard disk.
Select your macOS partition and choose "Optimize" in the Volume menu. When
it is done, read the free space now left continiously on your drive and write it
down.

4. Select again your macOS partition and go to the "Size" Box. Enter the
new space
you want for this partition. The difference between the old and the new value
must *not* be over the free space you got on your drive. Be  _extra_  careful.
Select "Update" in the top right corner of the window.

5. Select a new free partition. Choose "A/UX Root&Usr slice 0" in the
volume menu
"Partion type". Enter the new size for this partition. (Fill the free
space). Select "Update".

6. Use MacBSD utility Mkfs to make a new file system. Your are now able to
mount your new BSD partition from NetBSD. You have to find the device name
corresponding to it. I use to do : mount /dev/rsd1a /mymountpoint.
The first time you mount it, don't forget to mark the file system as
'clean' with fsck.

Please, be careful.
(Make sure you have a copy of your data etc..etc.. but it worked fine for
me, don't worry)

Good luck !!

-- Francois Pays. (LCIII)