Subject: Wasabi CD-ROM and ramdisk root install
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1995 22:47:48
Hi,

I've been pondering this idea of CD-ROM installation using ramdisk
mini(tiny?)-root.  Basically, you load the kernel off of the CD,
program in NetBSD which in turn would mount the CD and install
everything off of it (or just run "mount", "tar", etc by hand).

Why?  Because it'd be a lot faster than MacOS side installer.

Is there anything like this being considered for the 1.1 release?  If
not, do you think this idea's worth bothering (especially the Wasabi
people)?

I'm not fully aware of the time-lines set up, so this might be too
late...  I hope not.

ken

[BTW, having come to think of it, I see that mount_hfs even if
read-only would be a big win, for it would enable us to use the same
installation procedure off of harddisk...]