Subject: Re: New scsi driver & Fujitsu M2512 MO drive
To: Hauke Fath <bg5@aixterm1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1995 19:53:05
> >I suggest trying an "#if 0" block around the if statement comprising
> >lines 426-435 in mac68k5380.c.
> Well, I've tried, and it did not exactly help...
> The kernel dropped into single user because it could not start /bin/sh -
> nor could I. csh came up, though; enough to do a reboot.

Ahem...  That shouldn't affect anything that drastically...
Did you also update anything else at the same time?  The
ncr5380.c also appears to have a problem.  I need to look
into that, too, but that manifested on my system as a
lockup at boot time with the access light solid--before
we get to the 'press return for /bin/sh'.

> Having done some more experiments, I can say that only larger files are
> affected (read: '> 20K'). They look as if the file system had mixed up some
> block references: sometimes fragments of other source files are inserted,
> sometimes simply junk, and I even saw emacs command names. This is so
> strange to me I don't know where to look first...

Yowch!  That looks bad to me, too, and I'm now more confused
than ever as to what the problem might be.  Has anyone seen this
on another kind of disk?

> When I wanted to sup last minute changes to the (kernel) sources I found
> that NetBSD 1.1 is dawning: _all_ files on the mirror
> (wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de) have been touched, and sup'ing the whole
> distribution over a 14k4 ppp link is hard ;-)

Yeah...  There were actually a couple of things that core has been
struggling with this week.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **