Subject: Re: Booting Sept 95 Snapshot on IIsi
To: Gransaulls <gransaul@best.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1995 10:57:31
> but the Sept snapshot has gone past this and is hanging with a trap 2 as
> follows:
>
> changing root device to sd1a
> PRAM: 0x308035bb, macos_boottime: 0x308035ac
> Kernel Illegal Instruction trap
> trap type 2, code=0, v=0
>
> ...register dumps...
>
> panic: Illegal instruction
> Stopped at ...
>
> Then I believe I'm kicked out into the debugger. I don't know enough yet to
> use the debugger to help myself to the fix, so I'm relying on those of you
> who are further along to help me over this last (I hope) hump.

Ooo! Sounds familiar. Are you running with "Autosize" set on in the booter?
If not, try setting it. I was setting my memory to 1 MB less than real
(as a while ago that helped w/ internal video). On the July-ish kernels,
for some reason, this causes a bug in the forking of init (the first real
program run by the kernel). It's really bizzar. But setting autosize makes
it all better.

Good luck,

Bill