Subject: Re: LC 475
To: Christian Taylor <ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1995 13:20:20
> What are the chances of getting MacBSD to run on my LC 475 8/250?  I don't
> have an FPU, so what's the latest on FPU emulation?

Uh, okay, seems it's my turn ;-)  I'm debugging FPE (floating point
emulation).  I'm doing my FPE work on an FPU-less IIsi (for testing)
and an FPU-equipped SE/30 (for development).  It's "somewhat" working,
but there are still some unidentified bugs which prevent me from
releasing it.  I hope to fix it soon.

If you (= anyone) are brave enough, you can try the source tar ball in
my ftp area (fpt://remus.rutgers.edu/pub/NetBSD/) but please don't try
it if you are not sure you can help me debug it ;-)

> Also, what exactly do
> I have to do to create the MacBSD partition?  Can I do it without
> reformatting my hard drive?  I generally know a lot about macs, but I've
> never had to partition anything before...

If your MacOS partition is occupying all the space on the disk, then
you'll have to make a back-up, repartition it to make some room for
MacBSD, and restore the back-up, OR buy a new drive (probably solely
for MacBSD).  MacOS does automatically initialize (=high-level format)
a newly created MacOS partition when it sees it for the first time.
Some harddisk partitioning software let you "low-level format" an
entire drive, but you generally don't need to do this.  Is this what
you want to know about reformatting?

> I know there's a lot of things against the LC 475 (no FPU, 040, ADB, etc)
> but is there any chance that it MIGHT run?  I'd really like to get involved
> with MacBSD (mostly to learn about unix internals, and then to contribute
> to it) so I'd be very greatful for any help anyone can give me!

No, 040 isn't really a "thing".  At least I hear someone's succeeded
to boot MacBSD on an 040 Mac without disks and console but with
ethernet working.  Likewise, MacBSD probably has trouble working with
LC 475's SCSI and ADB, but you might be able to use it as a networked
diskless box if you have one of the known-to-work ethernet adaptors
(or does the on-board ether on 040 models work?).  I think you'll need
another MacBSD box to provide the LC with swap space and file system,
though.  For further details, I'll stop talking about it, as I don't
really know anything.

Cheers,

ken