Subject: Re: Remap Mouse-Buttons in X
To: kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu (Ken Nakata), ben <ben@eden.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/1995 14:59:07
> > Does the mac X11R6 actually allow you to view exported Xwindows over
> > SLIP?
>
> Over SLIP, PPP or Ethernet, it's an X11R6, so you can run X server
> elsewhere and clients on the Mac.  For example, you can run XFree86
> server on your linux box and log in to MacBSD from there, and run
> whatever you want, in whatever resolution and color settings the
> XFree86 server supports.

I forgot to say something about this; I have done that from school's X
terminal.  First I connected my SE/30 to the Net via SLIP, and I went
to the lab and logged in from the X term.  I succeeded to bring up GNU
Emacs window on the screen, but it just hang after a while.  The
machine was rock-solid locked up when I got home.  I tried to log in
on console but couldn't.  So, I just rebooted it.  I'm not sure what
happened.  I think there was too much two-way traffic on the link; X
protocol plus some other junk stuff (I've never experienced problems
with mostly-one-way heavy traffic such as FTP).  I haven't done this
since then, so I cannot comment on the current stability ;-)

ken