Subject: Re: For network experts.
To: Francois Pays <francois@pluton.sema-itf.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1995 21:55:51
> Hello everybody.
>
> My network still refuses to work after all.
> Since I am not a network expert, I can't figure out
> what is going wrong at all.
> In short, everything looks all right with netstat and ifconfig,
> but I can't get a byte going through the modem ! Ping says
> "Network is down". (see in appended log)

I have the exact same problem. I think another user was correct in saying
that the problem is in binaries not being in sync with the kernel (as
some programs manually go mucking around in the kernel).

However you have another problem too. See below.

> -- Francois Pays.
[snip]
> ######## pppd options
> ######## it must be :
>
> pppd /dev/tty00 57600 connect ./chatrun modem crtscts noipdefault
> defaultroute netmask 255.255.255.0

If you're not using the recently-modified serial code, crtscts doesn't
do anything, and 57600 is very unreliable.

Allen recently checked in a new ser.c which is a port I did of the
sun's zs.c driver. It seems to work fairly well. I've been able to
print to my DeskWriter without difficulty using it (and its correctly-
functioning flow control).

Note: for people who want to pick it up, be sure to get the new ser.c,
zsvar.h, and z8530reg.h. We nolonger use the one in /sys/dev/ic.
Also, locore.s and trap.c need a slight patch, and files.mac68k (I
think that's the name) in arch/config needs to be changed so that
we only have one ser device (ser0) instead of the present two (ser0 & ser1).

WARNING: Serial console and Serial echo don't work. You can use a tty on
the serial port, but not the console (with all the boot messages, etc).
I'm working on it. :-)

Take care,

Bill