Subject: Re: Remap Mouse-Buttons in X
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com (Brad Salai)>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/1995 16:41:02
> I have an Apple extended keyboard, with control and option keys on both
> sides, and it has exactly the same problem, only the left hand keys work in
> X and I need to use both hands. I can usually persuade my son to operate
> the mouse for me, but he demands to be paid and the cost of this is
> reducing the value of a free operating system. I might have to go to
> MachTen :-(

I think there are a couple of issue here:

1. People with single button mice need to be able to generate
   center-button and right-button clicks in a convenient way.
2. People with "short" keyboards don't have the control/option keys on the
   right side near the arrow keys so it's inconvenient to generate center-
   and right-buttons click via the keyboard.
3. An extended keyboard can be told to send either _seperate_ keycodes for left
   and right versions of the shift/option/control/apple keys or the _left_
   keycodes for either. So in the above situation, your keyboard must be
   sending seperate codes, and the right-side codes are not properly
   translated to mouse clicks.

#1 is covered by having OPTION-RT.ARROW generate right button clicks, and
OPTION-LT.ARROW generate center mouse button clicks. But it doesn't really
help if you fall into #2. Any suggestions on this problem?

#3 should be handled by the keyboard driver so that is regognizes both
types of left- AND right- keys for shift/ctrl/option/apple.

Comments?

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504