Subject: Re: talk/ytalk strangeness
To: Sean Sweda <sweda@us.itd.umich.edu>
From: Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/1995 20:21:12
>Well I've hacked and hacked and hacked, but I can't get ytalk to
>work correctly.  I can ytalk to my machine from a Sun Sparc running
>Solaris 2.4, I can't ytalk between users on my machine at all, or
>to/from a Sun running SunOS 4.1.4.  Here's what I'm currently doing:
>
>I'm currently using ntalkd version 8.1 (Berkeley).  I've tried tinkering
>with /etc/services and /etc/inted.conf, adding support for talk on
>port 517, but it doesn't seem to help at all.
>
>Has anyone gotten cross-platform talk to work at all?  Is anyone
>using ytalk?
>
>any help/advice/explanations would be greatly appreciated
>
>Sean
>(Mac IIci, 32MB RAM, kernel compiled from src 9/19)

Well, I can add to this story, although not neccessarily helpfully -

We have a couple of SS20s at work, running Sol 2.4/Openwindows, and my
Sun3, running NetBSD.  I have a friend on a remote site, who uses various
machine, normally SPARCs of some kind.

Talk/ytalk are very erratic - they do sometimes work, but sometimes they
erroneously report that 'the user is not logged on' (ytalk error message.
talk just quits out).  At other time they will loop "looking for
invitation" or sometimes quit with "target machine does not recognise us".
On average they work about 1 time in 5.

Any ideas, anyone..

Jules

>Sean Sweda                        :           ITD User Services Consultant
>sweda@us.itd.umich.edu            :      UM Student Publications LAN Admin
>http://www.umich.edu/~sweda       :
>     PowerTalk email:             :            Owner, Motor City Marauders
>sean.sweda@aoce2.itd.umich.edu    :   1994 Internet Baseball League Champs

|  Jelibean aka  |                                 |  6 Evelyn Road        |
|  Jules aka     |  jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk  |  Richmond, Surrey     |
|  Julian Bean   |                                 |  TW9 2TF    *UK*      |
|  Three things hold a secret: A lady riding in a dream, the dog that      |
|  sounds no warning, and the maid who does not scream.                    |