Subject: Bad-Diskblocks
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Kohler <kohler@ife.ee.ethz.ch>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/1995 17:53:19
Hi everybody!

I recently moved MacBSD from an old 80MB disk to a 140MB partition on
a 730MB Quantum Lightning. The Quantum however has problems with bad
blocks. On the MacOS side, Norton Utilities take care of them, but is
there a way to map them out under MacBSD?
I've discovered the 'badsect' command, but this does not work as stated
in the manual (mount the disk, change to its root, make "BAD" directory,
then do <badsect BAD <badsector number>). It replies with "/dev/sd0a busy".
This is also the case if I boot from the old disk and mount the new one
to /mnt. Any hint how to get rid of the bad blocks?

TIA

		Peter

| Peter Kohler                             | Phone:  (-41) 1 632 68 69      |
| Swiss Federal Institute of Technology    |   FAX:  (-41) 1 632 12 10      |
| Electronics Laboratory ETZ H63           |                                |
| Gloriastrasse 35                         | Email:  kohler@ife.ee.ethz.ch  |
| CH-8092 Zurich                           |                                |