Subject: Re: New scsi driver, old epson MO drive
To: Hauke Fath <bg5@aixterm1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/05/1995 11:20:33
On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Hauke Fath wrote:

> Well...if the Fujitsu MO runs fine for you and nothing worse happened with
> the Epson MO, consider yourself happy.

 I failed to mention that the Fujitsu is just a normal hard disk, not
a MO (-:

> Any ideas? What is so special about an MO compared to a Syquest or a Zip
> drive? At boot-time, the kernel complains about missing geometry data (an
> anachronism anyway with current ZBR hard disks...).

 Dunno, but they have separate driver (machine-independent) (T_OPTICAL),
but I never had problems with my Epson before the new NCR driver, except
that doing writes on it gets the system pretty much stuck while they're in
progress, and when it's being synced nothing else can happen on the
system, both with the old and the new driver. The scsi implementation on
the Epson seems to be somewhat braindamaged, and it was bought in '92.

> Is there any hope that the recent changes in the SCSI driver code may help?
> I may even be willing to trash some more partitions if that leads to a
> solution. (Be back in a month or so ;-)

 The machine-independent drivers haven't changed much since the optical
support was first introduced, I think.

--
'Good-bye and hello, as always'