Subject: Re: Working audio CD player and dying dynamic binaries
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/04/1995 14:37:03
Ken Nakata has randomly hit several keys, resulting in
> WorkMan 1.3 compiles with the same trick (__FreeBSD__ ==> __NetBSD__)
> and works fine with -current kernel.  It requires XView, but it's,
> unlike Motif, freely available, thus less problematic.  I got
> pre-compiled XView library from NetBSD/Amiga site in Germany (I
> think).

 Yes, but after further testing, they both work as badly. Both break
in the same way on AppleCD 300. Since xmcd explicitly claims to support
AppleCD 300, maybe this might be an SCSI driver problem ?

> Instead, I changed WorkMan source to use rcd0a.  I'm not so sure if
> it's the canonical way, but it works for me.

 Using rcd0a causes SCIOCCOMMAND to complain about invalid ioctl for
device with xmcd.

> It's almost the same problem I had.  In my case, anything dynamically
> linked dumped core, though.  Thanks to Paul Goyette and Allen Briggs,
> new SCSI driver cured the symptom.  I think it's checked in on Oct.
> 3rd's sup scan.

 ah, I couldn't get that since sun-lamp was dead again and umich didn't
have it yet. Before I read this I tested some things in single-user,
and most things, but not all died.

--
Randal Schwartz for President in '96 !@#!
'They [the intellectual elite] have somehow forgotten,