Subject: NetBSD PPP
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Francois Pays <francois@pluton.sema-itf.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/02/1995 14:18:40
Sorry to ask the mail list help again.

I can't achieve to set my ppp link up. :-( and yet I
think I am very close to the goal.

I have writen a ppp/chat that succeed in :
 -openning the serial device,
 -dialing the modem,
 -connect
 -authentify itself to the provider (login,passwd)
But the ppp link doesn't come up. My ppp arguments are :
(I think I forget a 2-char arg )

| pppd /dev/stty00 28800 < : > -file pppopt -connect chatscript|
|                          ^
|                  (with or without)
|
| In the file pppopt:
| debug -ac -vj -pc defaultroute noipdefault netmask 255.255.255.0

I know I have to use noipdefault because my net service provider
gives me a new dynamic IP address each time.

I have logged the debugg output of the chat end ppp processes with
syslogd.It appears that the chat script successfuly completes but
pppd gives up a few seconds after. I read ppplog :

Late in the night:	pppd[1196]	Sent [ IPCP Conf-Req id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> ]
Late in the night:			Last message repeated 9 times.
Late in the night:	pppd[1196]	IPCP timeout sending config-Request.

But the modem communication is still active until I kill the pppd process.
Any suggestion ?

-- Francois Pays

[ Old programmers never die.  They just branch to a new address.]