Subject: Re: BSD4.4 Manual & Software IP router?
To: noud de brouwer <noud@knot.nl>
From: Deja P.Vhatkul <dejakl@ksc.net.th>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1995 22:27:50
Hi! Thanks for everyone. This's the best group I ever met! You know, I also
had posted a kind of message like this on mac.comm group (but for hardware
router), still no reply :-)

>I've got about 10 macs on a network and it's connected trough BSD with the
>Internet. http://www.knot.nl
>
>Maybe i can guide you trough, give more details:
>-what's the current network? EtherTalk? TCP/IP
>-Have you got a DNS running? Do you need one?
>-What's the WAN device?
>
>Your sign. is not there.

Sorry! I forget it :-) Ok, my office network typology were these.

There're 10 mac (the model with no builtin AAUI) that run peer-to-peer
appletalk with their builtin localtalk, this zone was daisy-chaining
typology.

The rest 6 mac were running ethertalk (surely, because they had AAUI built
in, then the previous technician had get the 10base-t tranceivers for them)
into a hub. Passive star typology, I think. No server.

And also there're 3 isolated PC! Those localtalk & ethernet zones were
seperated from each other. I ask them, why they did't bring in a bridge.
They ask me back, what for?? Still no used of TCP/IP there, No modem & No
ethernet switch box.

My first job assignment was bring them the Internet access (don't laugh if
I said that I'm a one of only a few mac-internet "expert" here, & believe
me! I'm a medical doctor. Known & loved mac since that ADAM :-) And must be
the cheapest way!! And you know, Directed IP account fees here is
US$2400/month for 64k analog leased line !! Don't come here, if you
addicted to the net :-)

Then my only left choice was using the dialling account & still there's
only shell terminal acc here ! (don't laugh again) I need to emulate PPP on
the ISP host myself & someday they would treaten me in using that! (All
ISPs here must be partner by government telephone authority, & they fear of
NetPhone very much. Then they limited it by no commercial supply of
dialling IP)

OK! back to the story:-) This's why I need to study of NetBSD (you know the
price of basic A/UX apple server here, US$8000 ! Don't ask about the SUN) I
think I'll use the modem pool with dialling acc as the WAN device. The
problem was just I had asked.

Which should be better between using hardware router VS using a mac BSD box
as a software router?(I don't know any IP router utility that can run on
the plain mac OS) If the latter is better,

>What does "can save by delayed" mean??

then we still no need to buy the hardware router now, I meant that. But how
that sw IP router could be done? It's seem that I need to install DNS,
right? (I'd fixed 10.0.2.15 IP because of PPP-emulator I used, & all of the
rest in my LAN must be 10.0.2.xx)

Or may be another else, Do I need the IP router at all or not? (As I know,
I need !?!)

Very thanks for listening to my long story. I still did't want to go back
doing the doctor job :-) Then please help me. I'll tell more details if you
want & still not bore of it :-)

Best regards,

Deja P.Vhatkul
OmniMedia Co.,Ltd. BKK, Thailand