Subject: Re: serial port driver
To: None <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: None <PRICEJ@CEBAF.GOV>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1995 10:44:31
Ken Nakata writes:

>...a number of people including me are hooked to the Net via
>PPP or SLIP with little or no problem (other than the hassle we had to
>go through when setting it up ;-).

Just what, exactly, does one to to "properly" get SLIP running?  I can
run with SLIP, using a modified version of what is in the SLIP HOWTO
document.  That method, as I remember, was as follows:

	1. Use cu to dial the phone, and set up the SLIP connection on
	     the remote side.
	2. "slattach -h -s {port speed} {IP addr} {gate addr}
	     netmask {netmask} up"
	3. "route add default {gate addr}"

The problem I have with this is that I can't get cu to dial the phone,
reportedly because I need to set CD on.  This will screw up the modem
for the mac side (yes, I still use it there too), so that isn't an
option.  Instead, I use the InterSlip program under MacOS to setup the
SLIP connection, and then boot NetBSD.  Then, after logging in as root,
I proceed with the above method from step 2.

I understand that DIP is a better method to use, but so far, I haven't
gotten it to work.  Is there a walkthrough somewhere on how to get it
set up properly?

           John Price ***  ****  ****  *** pricej@cebaf.gov
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.