Subject: Re: serial port driver
To: John Newlin <newlin@hooked.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1995 13:15:18
John Newlin (newline@hooked.net) wrote:
> Ok, I am using a IIci with 8 Megs of RAM, a Radius 8Xj video card, and the=
>  snapshot kernel off of puma. My chat script looks like so:
> ABORT BUSY "ATZ OK AT&F1 OK ATDT 275-0151 CONNECT"
> ogin:--ogin: ppp-newlin assword: *******
>
> When I run chat nothing seems to happen.  I have tried plugging the modem=
>  into both serial ports with no luck.  I'm assuming that /dev/tty00 and=
>  /dev/tty01 are the serial port devices.  I have tried echoing modem command=
>  strings to both and there is no feedback from the modem that the string=
>  gets through.

Aren't you running getty on the port?  /etc/ttys file should look
like this for tty00 and tty01:

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure

There's a number of other factors that would also affect the serial
ports.  What if you run "cu" with -l and -s options against your modem
port?  Consult cu man pages for the meaning and syntax of these
options.  If you get modem responce with cu, then something must be
wrong with pppd and/or chat configuration.

ken n.