Subject: Re: serial port driver
To: None <PRICEJ@CEBAF.GOV, kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1995 13:04:52
> Just what, exactly, does one to to "properly" get SLIP running?

I'm not sure how "properly" I'm running SLIP.

[...]
> I understand that DIP is a better method to use, but so far, I haven't
> gotten it to work.  Is there a walkthrough somewhere on how to get it
> set up properly?

I don't use either cu or DIP, but a DIP-like expect(*) script that
opens the device, initializes the modem, dials, retries if necessary,
<logs in & initiates SLIP on the remote Cisco box>, invokes slattach at
local, and finally sets up the routes and some such.  It's completely
automated so that all I have to do is just run the script (it also
creates a clean-up script in /tmp, so I can just run it when shutting
down SLIP).

If there's enough interest, I'll put it up on my ftp area with
expect binary.  You probably have to change the <...> part.

* expect is a Tcl-based tool for automated testings/operations of
interactive programs by Don Libes.  O'Reilly has a book _Exploring
Expect_ by the author himself.  The source can be obtained from
ftp://ftp.cme.nist.gov/pub/expect.

ken n.