Subject: Re: BSD4.4 Manual & Software IP router?
To: Deja P.Vhatkul <dejakl@ksc.net.th>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/25/1995 19:48:14
> Hi! I'd installed NetBSD 1.0 for nearly a month. And still in the process
> of studying it. But, oh! my.. Its "man" are the tons of text after untar. I
> think the time & paper to print them may be costlier than a book.

Yes!  O'Reilly and Associates sells the 4.4 manuals printed.  They
aren't cheap, but there are a lot of pages!  You can get it with a
CD-ROM that has 4.4-Lite on it.  If you are a member of USENIX, you
can get a discount on the books (but not enough to make up for the
USENIX membership fee ;-).

> But after heard someone said that BSD box can act as
> the software IP router too.

Sure.  You'll need two ethernet cards (one for each network).
I don't know of anyone who's tried this with NetBSD on a Macintosh,
but it should work fine (I run two networks off my IIcx running NetBSD,
but I don't do direct routing--it's set up basically as a firewall).

I'm sure people are using other NetBSD platforms (namely i386)
for this.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **