Subject: Re: Clock slowdown
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William F. Hostman <aswfh@acad2.alaska.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1995 12:49:19
>From:     sfkaplan@CS.UTEXAS.EDU
>Whenever I boot NetBSD, the time is correct.  The longer I leave the
>machine up, the further the system clock drifts away from real time,
>always in the direction of losing time.  Within a mere day, it will
>have lost an hour.  But if I restart the machine, the clock is right
>back on track according to both the Mac side and NetBSD side when I
>first start up.
>
>Strange problem, eh?  What is this?  Does it happen to others?  Is it
>just my machine? (A IIci, 8 megs RAM/170 meg storage, cache card,
>NuBus standard Apple video, tarballs from Steve Allen's site
>[thanks!], Booter 1.8, kernel GENERIC #40 I think).  Any info on this
>problem would be appreciated, and I'm happy to do some testing and
>poking around to supply more information.

several mac models have _KNOWN_ (to Apple) clock errors, and the system
enabler (under 7.x) or a patch to the system file cure this. (see also
_Upgrading and Repairing Macs_, 1995, I don't remember the publisher). As
for how to fix under BSD, I don't know.

-Wil

William F. Hostman

EMail:          ASWFH@Orion.Alaska.EDU
HomePage:      down due to access problems.

"History is the story of the life of societies; geography is the study of
what they evolved in."