Subject: Re: Is color X server on NetBSD/mac68k possible?
To: Hoshi Takanori <hoshi@sran265.sra.co.jp>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/1995 09:37:38
>   1. specify the ioctl() interface for operations (like CLUT
>      management) used by color X server.

Yes.

>   2. implement color X server.

This part is relatively trivial.  The cfb driver plus what we have
already implemented should do nicely.

>   3. implement device drivers for:
>     a) internal video.  It may depend on each Macintosh model.
>     b) NuBus video cards.  It may call the firmware drivers...

Actually, I think both may be able to call firmware drivers (I am not
sure on this, though).

>   a. what kind of operation is needed to implement color X
>      server?  I think the CLUT management is essential, and
>      depth switching is optional, as the depth can be set up
>      by the booter.

You are correct.

>   b. according to `Designing Cards and Drivers', NuBus video
>      card's CLUT operation seems to be done by their firmware
>      drivers, which may depend on some MacOS managers.  Does
>      they run under MacBSD?  Do we need some pseudo managers?

The firmware drivers are not accessible from NetBSD, yet.  This
is the problem.  Actually, if we can use the firmware, then we
can do a few other nifty things, like handle interrupts properly,
switch video modes, blank the screen, etc..

>      (I've heard that some X
>      clients depend on the 8 plane pseudo color visual.)

A number of them do.  That is by far the most common visual type,
I think.  However, as PC cards keep getting cheaper and more powerful,
16-bit and 24-bit DirectColor applications will probably start showing
up more, too.

Are you interested in working on loading the firmware drivers?
A potential problem is that the firmware, according to the Macintosh
NuBus design, is supposed to have access to any features of the MacOS
that it wants.  It can call the OS, the Toolbox--whatever it wants.
In practice, though, I don't think it will try to use much more than
the Slot Manager and basic things like Memory Manager calls (some of
which are already around for the MRG code).

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>