Subject: Re: a couple questions
To: Sean Sweda <sweda@us.itd.umich.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/1995 09:18:57
> #1) I'm running gated, and when I try to listen to RIP broadcasts
> I get this error message:
>
> >Sep 20 01:27:29 marauders gated[79]: rip_init: UDP checksums *DISABLED*
> >in kernel; RIP disabled
>
> why are UDP checksums disabled, to limit overhead on slip/ppp connections?

They're enabled only "#ifndef COMPAT_42" in src/sys/netinet/udp_usrreq.c
(look for udpcksum).  Try compiling a kernel without COMPAT_42 (leave
COMPAT_43 in, though--I think it _may_ still be required for proper tty
handling).  I don't know the history behind these, though.

> #2) what text-to-postscript tool can I ftp and compile, so that I can
> print to my laserwriter?  suggestions as to where and what would be
> greatly appreciated

Unless you're printing over the network, you might have problems with
the physical connection between you and the laserwriter...  As for
tools, check out the comp.lang.postscript (I think) FAQ.

> FYI - I've installed CAP using native EtherTalk on my machine,
> for anyone who's curious about the installation/effects/etc.

Cool!

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **