Subject: Is color X server on NetBSD/mac68k possible?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hoshi Takanori <hoshi@sran265.sra.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/1995 16:37:34
Hello,

I'm windering if it is possible or not to run a color X server
on NetBSD/mac68k.  I think the required tasks are:

  1. specify the ioctl() interface for operations (like CLUT
     management) used by color X server.

  2. implement color X server.

  3. implement device drivers for:
    a) internal video.  It may depend on each Macintosh model.
    b) NuBus video cards.  It may call the firmware drivers...

Then, my question is:

  a. what kind of operation is needed to implement color X
     server?  I think the CLUT management is essential, and
     depth switching is optional, as the depth can be set up
     by the booter.

  b. according to `Designing Cards and Drivers', NuBus video
     card's CLUT operation seems to be done by their firmware
     drivers, which may depend on some MacOS managers.  Does
     they run under MacBSD?  Do we need some pseudo managers?

  c. if portable CLUT operation is not possible under MacBSD,
     what we can do?  Is static (fixed CLUT) or direct color
     X server possible and useful?  (I've heard that some X
     clients depend on the 8 plane pseudo color visual.)

hoshi