Subject: Re: netbsd.082495 failed booting on SE/30
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Dameon D. Welch <dwelch@uplink.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/19/1995 07:07:14
Quotes from the great literary masterpieces of Allen Briggs:

> > Any particular reason why 32-bit mode is required?
>
> Memory in the MacOS is in a more "sane" state when the machine is in
> 32-bit mode.  If you'd like to look into supporting a 24-bit mode boot,
> feel free...  I'll even merge your changes in...  ;-)

No, I'm just looking for a "reason" why this was the case. I don't
particularly *care* as most apps I use are 32-bit clean anyway, though
Silverlining doesn't seem to want to work properly with multiple
devices when I use 32-bit mode.

> For some details on the different memory layout, try booting with and
> without 32-bit mode and look at the different layouts for "system RAM"
> and "NuBus space".

Yeah, Apple did some *really* screwy things in 24-bit mode. I would
imagine 32-bit mode being a lot cleaner.

--
< Dameon D. Welch (dwelch@uplink.com, http://www.uplink.com/uplink/ ) >
     "Either you're babbling, or you just told me in Cherokee