Subject: ppp routing and X sizepace
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Frederick Kaplan <sfkaplan@cs.utexas.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1995 11:11:15
Okay, first problem.  I connect to a remote machine using pppd with
the option "defaultroute".  I've done this under MachTen (which I have
since given up), and through MacPPP, and this machine (or set of
machines, really) does work as a nameserver.  However, I don't seem to
be getting that service...The only things I can connect to by name are
those machines which I specify in my /etc/hosts file.  What am I
missing?

Second problem.  I've got limited disk space, and X takes up a *lot*.
(Not quite 30 megs.)  I've noticed that most of that space is fonts.
Is there any way I can trim down the set of fonts included?  Or at
least compress fonts that are not likely to be used?  I just
discovered that the compiled emacs 19.28 that some kind soul made
available was not made to use X, so I'd like to compile such a version
myself (actually, I'm going to try it with 19.29), but I'm afraid that
I'm going to run out of disk space for the compile.

Thanks!

Scott Kaplan
sfkaplan@cs.utexas.edu