Subject: Re: Cross compiling NetBSD/i386 -> NetBSD/mac68k
To: None <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1995 08:27:27
>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au> writes:

Andrew> Also needed is a decision on which compiler tools to use.  I
Andrew> can think of several choices 1) GNU's current tools. 2)
Andrew> NetBSD's tools or 3) some hybrid (eg current gcc but NetBSD's
Andrew> as/ld).  I'm using a variation on #1 - the bleading edge of
Andrew> the GNU tools - because NetBSD's bundled compiler et.al. don't
Andrew> suport my target (yes that is my blood on the floor). Any
Andrew> advice?  Mainly shop around. I believe that someone in the
Andrew> Amega group has recently being doing work on getting better
Andrew> NetBSD/68k suport into GCC.

I'm the one doing work on getting current GCC compile *all* of
NetBSD/m68k.  I'm quite sure doing cross-compiles to this platform
will work well when 2.7.1 is released.  If someone finds a problem
with this, please mail me, I'll probably fix it right away unless it's
some host-related thing (like compiling on an alpha, 64->32 bit cross
compilation has some known non-trivial to fix bugs, I recall).  Note,
this is only the compiler, I may go on to get current gas & binutils
to work for cross-compilation as well, but I cannot guarantee that,
unless I get a sponsor (hint! ;-) ).  The traditional problem with
cross-assembling & linking is endian problems, I don't know if the
NetBSD tools deal well with this...

should do well in this respect.  I have also committed myself to fix
any problems with NetBSD/m68k as target that comes up.

In return I'd like to get to know of any cross-compilation efforts
done and the outcome of them.  I've tried this once before, about a
year or two ago, but then it failed miserably, mostly due to the poor
GCC support for the PowerPC as a host.  Nowadays it's much better in
that area, but I haven't got the time to start that project again.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: niklas@appli.se
S-412 63  GOTEBORG	WWW:   Here
Sweden