Subject: Re: Is IIcx compatible with new MRG kernels ?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1995 10:26:00
>Doug Scoular:
>        [ Asking about IIcx with current kernels... ]
>
>I'm running the current kernels on puma--which is a 20MB IIcx.  They run
>fine.  It would help to know what problems you're having.  You might
>check that:
>        * You have Mode32 and it is enabled (I'm using version 7.5 on
>          my IIcx)
>        * 32-bit addressing is turned on
>        * VM is turned off
>        * RAMDoubler is disabled, if you have it
>
>> You can use the 'disklabel' command from the Install Utility (Mac-side)
>> to get an idea of what NetBSD thinks your disk looks like.
>
>You can also use the 'disklabel' command inside a running kernel.
>NetBSD's current partitioning scheme will not see any partitions after
>the first 8 on the disk (effectively 5 or 6, depending on how much junk
>APS is leaving around).  Cleaning up the partitioning code has been on
>my list for quite a while...

Sorry if this is a simple question, but what does it mean to say the
current kernels are MRG kernels, do they have to run from the Mac
partition, that is not installed in / on the MacBSD side??

Does it matter what they are named?

Do they have the same support for non apple video cards that say the 51695
kernel had (thats the latest one that I can get to run)  I'm using a
Samsung one bit full page card that the old kernel works well with.

For a while I was running a kernel that someone compiled for a Logitech
mouse (which I don't have) and it would run ok also, but I rm'd it by
accident, and it doesn't seem to be around anymore.

I'm using a MacII 20 meg ram but only 8 meg works because I cannot boot
with mode 32 on, pmmu, 68882, and except for having to start X and dt a few
times before both screens will work, I'm pretty happy. There are just more
and more incompatibilities between my old kernel and the newer binaries.

Brad

Stephen B. "Brad" Salai                       bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com
Cumpston & Shaw                               Office (716) 325-5553
Two State Street                              Home   (716) 377-4624
Rochester, NY 14614